Snappy, speedy web hosting just for you from only £3.33 per month with a multitude of free features (including free SSL as standard)….why not join us today?
We are always happy to help you setup your new online home, our Domain registry service is quick and easy to use allowing you to find the perfect name for your brand new website. Where will your domain take you?
New to websites or are you an old hand? It really doesn’t matter with our drag and drop website builder - Weebly, everything you need to build up your very own unique website is just a drag and a click away.
Have peace of mind at all times with our Code Guard add on, ensuring your website is constantly backed up and protected against the most up to date malware.
Fresh off the Press
Information on Litespeed
Here at Peters Web HQ we recently made the change from using Apache web server technology to using 'Litespeed' (yes I know this service already sounds super quick!). As we are new to this web server technology we felt it was a great idea to include some information here as a handy guide for our clients. We will go on to give an outline of this service and also a few hints and tips in terms of setting up Litespeed cache for your own use., so without further ado..........
Litespeed is a type of web server technology, the essence of this type of application is to load information about the website from the server to the internet browser. Since its development in 2003 it has gone on to become one of the most popular web servers currently in use, this is down to the fact that it delivers high speed server performance using the same framework as Apache (the software is considered to be an Apache drop in replacement).
When comparing Apache and Litespeed a great analogy to use would be to think of a store (in this instance we will use the analogy of a clothing store). Imagine that when you visit a store you must be accompanied by a sales assistant at all times, from when you enter the store, whilst looking around and then having to use the same sales assistant to run through a sale at the end of the visit. Throughout this experience each shopper that enters the store must be assigned their own personal assistant, eventually all of the assistants available are tied up with their own store visitor. New visitors to the store then have to wait outside the store until an assistant becomes available to partner them - this scenario is comparable to the operation of Apache which operates in a 'product driven' fashion. In terms of Litespeed this acts in an 'event-driven' fashion, when a visitor comes into the store they are greeted at the door but then are left to browse the store on their own. If they wish to try something on the door to the changing room is left unlocked so that they can use the facility whenever they wish (in comparison to Apache this would be like an assistant having to unlock and lock the door depending on whether a customer needed to use the changing room). Finally if a visitor chooses to buy an item they run it through with a cashier at the end of the visit. In terms of this change in operations, Litespeed runs much quicker in terms of how it processes information. There are less resources tied up when using Litespeed which allows for a much quicker load time for a given website.
Aside from the operations of Litespeed that are stated above there are other ways in which Litespeed performs better than a system such as Apache. Firstly LiteSpeed interprets languages such as PHP and Python 50% faster than Apache further increase its speed of performance. Secondly Litespeed allows for the caching of dynamically created content - for example your WP site is loaded from a database, therefore its considered dynamic. Litespeed only has to query the database once in a given time frame (versus Apache that has to query it every time a user logs on). Litespeed caches the information that is retrieved from the database hence why it doesn't need to query the database with each user request.
So, how do you use Litespeed cache?
- Install the plugin for WP
- After installation you may wish to alter some of the parameters within the plugin (e.g HTTP/2 push I always toggle on along with the minification settings). I recommend that if you are new to these parameters to toggle one at a time and reload your page to get a feel for the effect of the toggle, do these for each option that you toggle before proceeding to the next option (or buy our management service!)
We have purposefully kept this article short to give you a flavour of what Litespeed has to offer, we were surprised by how much the performance of our websites improved when we began using Litespeed so felt compelled to write a little about it.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us here at Peters Web should you require any more guidance on this topic. You can contact us via a support ticket (open a ticket) to our hosting department.
Understanding Statistics within cPanel
At Peters Web we limit the number of resources that can be used by each account, we feel that by better understanding what each of these parameters are and how they operate you can get the best out of your hosting experience.
We have provided some short definitions for each parameter below: -
- Disk Space Usage - How much data is currently being stored on the server from your personal account
- File Usage - How many files you have uploaded to your account
- Monthly Bandwidth - How much data has been transferred on your account (NOTE this is purposefully set to a very high limit that you will unlikely breach in the day to day running of your website)
- Add on Domains - A record of your current used/add on domains
- Aliases - How many domains you currently have installed on your website (these can be pointing to your main domain)
- Email Accounts - The number of email accounts that are currently in use
- FTP Accounts - The number of FTP accounts that are currently in use
- SQL Databases - The number of MySQL databases that are currently in use
- MySQL Disk Space - Amount of space occupied by your current MySQL databases
- CPU - Processing Power needed by your current account
- I/O - The number of bits per second (maximum amount of data that can be transferred between the server and a current user)
- IOPS - Input/output operations per second (performance measurement used on the hard-drive)
- Entry Processes - How many PHP Processes occur when people visit your website, this is often falsely confused with how many people can visit your website at any one time (this can be better thought as how many tasks can be completed by your website at once!)
- Physical Memory Usage - How much server memory (RAM) that is currently available to you (your website)
If you should have any issues or have any questions regarding this topic please contact us via a support ticket (open a ticket) with our hosting department and we will get back to you as soon as possible.....
Beginners guide to using SpamExperts
SpamExperts is a leading player within the current email security market, we are such big fans of it here at Peters Web HQ that we provide it as a free 'plugin' option within any package that is purchased from us!
So.....how do you set it up? We have include a quick guide below to get you started, once we have discussed a little about how to set up SpamExperts we will go on to discuss a little more about how it works and some of the features that are included in the program,. From here you can then decide what you feel would work best for you personally when using SpamExperts as part of your package with us.
Setting up SpamExperts
Note: - Before we begin you will need to ensure that your zone records (MX records) point towards the destination 'cloudhosting.co.uk'. Please follow this link if you are unsure how to do this!
You will need your MX records to look like this :-
1st Record Priority - 10 (a lower number raises the priority of the record - so this will be the primary MX record)
Destination - 'mx1.cloudhosting.co.uk'
2nd Record Priority - 20 (higher priority number so will be a backup record to the 1st record above)
Destination - 'mx2.cloudhosting.co.uk'
Now onto SpamExperts......
- Login into cPanel
- Once on the main cPanel menu scroll down to 'email' area -> select SpamExperts
- Once you have entered onto SpamExperts you will come to a list containing all of your domains, select the 'login' link next to the domain address you would like to apply SpamExperts to
- This will take you onto a control panel (dashboard), from here you can control how the Spam Filter works.
- From here its at your discretion which changes you chose to make, I would point out from personal experience that 'delivery details' and 'filter settings' are good starting points to help you control the flow of spam emails to your account.
I have included information below about some features that are included within SpamExperts, these are by no means exhaustive and there are many more toggles and features which I won't include.
This tool allows for you to search for specific emails and IP addresses using a variety of filters to hone your search.
Yes you guessed it........all suspicious emails are diverted here along with emails from sources that have already been flagged as spam. It is important to keep an eye on this as sometimes genuine emails end up here in error. This area operates very much like a 'junk' folder within a regular email system, emails here can be deleted or released (these emails will then be sent to the primary mailbox).
You can use this tool to view incoming mail statistics over a given time frame.
This tool enables control over activation of the quarantine system - if the quarantine system is disabled via the filter settings then all mail will be routed into the primary mailbox for the given domain. We would recommend using the quarantine system at all times to properly filter all incoming mail.
A spam message can be uploaded to this tool to train it in detecting a given spam message.
This is an extremely useful tool as it allows you to look back over instances when you received spam (and from where) over a given time period. A report is generated on your behalf and is sent to the email address that you provide. A report may take severel minutes depending on the size of the data range you provide.
There are many more features within SpamExperts, we would advise having a good browse through the program once you have installed it to get a better feel for what parameters you can control within your mailbox.
Please get in touch with us at Peters Web via a support ticket (open a ticket) to our hosting department should you require any other information on this topic.
Powered by WHMCompleteSolution